The National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE), re-established by proclamation No. 1133/2011, is the constitutionally mandated body to conduct elections, organize referendum and regulate political parties in Ethiopia. NEBE is working to boost its’ institutional strength with a special focus on enhancement of human resource capacity. Accordingly, NEBE would like to invite applicants for Senior Communication Officer position who meet the following requirements to apply.
Required number: One
Reports to: Communications Manager
Duty station: NEBE Head Quarter, Addis Ababa
Duration: 12 months with a possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: Immediately after concluding the contract
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Senior Communications expert is expected to support the Communications Department at the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia on a range of issues including development and execution of an effective communications strategy to support the day to day activities of the board.
- Support the development and execution of an effective communications strategy targeting social media, web content and mainstream media (TV, Radio, Print);
- Assist with drafting communication materials, including talking points, briefs, speeches background/position papers, reports, correspondence, press releases and digital content; both in Amharic and English;
- Support resolution of communications inquiries directed to the NEBE;
- Conduct high level research and analysis on assigned topics to support internal and external presentations reports; and policy decisions of NEBE related with communications;
- Highly involve on planning of communications departments works, follow up its execution and reporting;
- Lead the communications department planning and reporting works;
- Ensure coordination between different departments of NEBE on the tasks that involve internal and external communications and media related works;
- Involve in messaging development, drafting, dissemination of communication materials;
- Lead preparation of NEBE communication publications for both internal and external purpose;
- Lead the content development and supervision of NEBE website;
- Undertake ad-hoc tasks assigned by the Communications Department Head.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Language Studies, International Relations, or related area required
- Master’s Degree in Communications/Media Studies or related field preferred
- Demonstrated professional experience and knowledge in communications, project management required
- Demonstrated knowledge on articulation and official engagement with media preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel is a must
- For BA holders, 6 years of professional experience required
- For MA holders, 4 years of professional experience required.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent verbal and written professional Amharic language skills;
- Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple priorities under tight deadlines;
- Ability to undertake and complete tasks with limited supervision;
- Excellent reporting and document handling skills;
- Ability to handle sensitive issues with integrity and confidentiality;
- Demonstrated ability to operate well in a collaborative and cooperative environment;
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness;
- High knowledge of political and electoral environment in Ethiopia;
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality and impartiality (Not being a member of any political party);
- Ability to operate in a changing environment with high coordination skills;
- Fluency in English and Amharic required (written and spoken).
INTERESTED APPLICANTS ARE INVITED TO SEND NON-RETURNABLE:
- Application letter that explains why you fit for the post and updated CV
- Three work related referees
- All material sent to Human Resources Department, by email through hr.dept [at] nebe.org.et
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further screening
- Those who are interested can only apply via email within 10 days from this announcement.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply!