The National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) passed the following decisions concerning the General Assembly that the Kafa Green Party held on March 12, 2022
Decision made on July 22, 2022
The party presented a report on a letter written on March 24, 2022 no. KGP/10520/about the General Assembly it held on March 12, 2022.
The National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) made an enquiry on July 22, 2022 concerning the report made by the party and the attached documents vis-à-vis the Law, the bylaw of the party, and the report from NEBE’s observers.
Concerning the General Assembly
• In the General Assembly, the election of members the Central Committee, the Audit and Inspection Committee, and the Executive Committee was done by raising hands. Since this contradicts article 74/3 of the proclamation where it is stated that voting has to be done in secret, the Board decided that the party should hold its General Assembly by respecting the lawful procedures.
Concerning the bylaw of the party
a) Under the revised bylaw article 14 (2)(6), it is stated that when the number of the General Assembly is reduced, the executive committee can proceed with the remaining members. This violates article 74(1)(E) which states that the minimum quorum should be 200.
b) Under the revised bylaw article 14.1 (4), it is stated that the General Assembly should be summoned every three whereas article 14.3 states that it should be done every year. Since these two articles contradict each other, amendments should be carried out.
c) Under the revised bylaw article 14.3(8), the General Assembly partially delegates its powers and responsibilities to the Central Committee. This may refer to the powers and responsibilities designated solely to the General Assembly. So, it should be clearly stated that it does not include the powers and responsibilities given to solely to the General Assembly, and necessary amendments should be made accordingly.
d) Under the revised bylaw, article 22.1, it is stated that the quorum of the General Assembly is set to be 50 + 1, and this could make the number of the General Assembly lower than 200. However, this contradicts what is stated on the proclamation article 74/1. So, the party has to make the amendment according to article 74.1(a) of the proclamation.
e) In the revised bylaw, article 22.5 provides the ground for the attendees to decide upon the secrecy of the voting process, and this contradicts the article 74(3) and regulation article 20. So, appropriate amendments should be done.
f) The Board decided that the system for the party members to be nominated for local and national elections at every level is not included in the party's bylaws, so it should be amended.
As a result, the Board has decided that the party has to conduct its General Assembly again, and it has to approve its bylaw by including the suggestions stated under A to F above.
1) The party has to summon its General Assembly within three months form the announcement of this decision i.e. July 22, 2022 until October 25, 2022.
2) Regarding the election of the party’s leadership, to ensure that voting, vote counting, and result announcement procedures that must be carried out in accordance with the law are carried out in accordance with the law.
3) When the party conducts its next General Assembly again, it should make the amendments stated under A to F above in its bylaw, and it should present its draft bylaw including the amendments to the Board five days before conducting the General Assembly.
4) The party should present and submit to the General Assembly the amended bylaws approved by the Board where the above-mentioned adjustments have been included.
5) The party should present the detailed process of the General Assembly and the decisions passed, the approved bylaw approved at the assembly, and the report of the General Assembly with 15 days after holding the assembly.
The National Election Board of Ethiopia
July 27, 2022