The National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE), re-established by proclamation No. 1133/2011, is the constitutionally mandated body to conduct elections, organize referendum and regulate political parties in Ethiopia. NEBE is working to boost its’ institutional strength with a special focus on enhancement of human resource capacity. Accordingly, NEBE would like to invite applicants for Monitoring, Evaluation (M&E) and Reporting Senior Officer position that will support the institution with the development and revision of the M&E Log frames, risk logs and to implement a sound internal monitoring system and to report timely and adequately.
Required number: One
Reports to: The Chairperson
Duty station: NEBE Head Quarter, Addis Ababa
Duration: 12 months with a possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: Immediately after concluding the contract
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The NEBE The M&E and Reporting Senior Officer is the main person responsible for the design, establishment, and implementation of the NEBE’s planning and monitoring system in line with the NEBE’s Strategic Plan, its institutional mandate, and key objectives. H/she further implements and/or improves the existing M&E system by enhancing the robustness of the M&E framework and sharpening results-based data collection methods according to international standards reference principles. S/he is also further responsible for developing systematic quarterly and annual reports in line with NEBE formats and standards, as well as electoral updates to relevant stakeholders.
- Take the lead for the development and implementation of the NEBE’s M&E strategies,
- Develop procedures which includes indicators, targets, means of verification and monitoring steps at outcome, output, and activity level, and in line with the Annual Work Plan and according to the institutions mandate;
- Take the lead in developing plans to monitor the NEBE’s Risks and Issues matrices in line with international standards;
- Develop and refine the internal monitoring system to gather results-based progress data and input from primary sources (NEBE) and third-party sources;
- Take the lead in the review of the NEBE’s Results Resources Framework, with electoral-related indicators;
- Provide feedback and recommend further improvement on activities related to monitoring and evaluation;
- Develop NEBEs specific M&E SOPs responding to contextual challenges, according to the organizations M&E minimum standards ensuring necessary resources;
- Take part on any proposal development activities of NEBE departments and contribute in puts, especially in the problem analysis, objective analysis, overall development of log frames, and coining indicators;
- Train support staff and partners in data collection, management, assessment tools, and all the M&E business process of NEBE;
- Work with departments on the capacity building activities, and support in the development of training manuals;
- Establishment and ongoing implementation of a standardized reporting mechanism including effective and timely reporting to internal and external stakeholders;
- Take the lead in writing the required reports, capturing in a comprehensive analytical manner progress against Results Framework; including the documentation of success stories, achievements, lessons learned, risks and issues;
- Report monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual progress reports on all departmental activities that needs attention to the Board and Board Chairperson;
- Take the lead in writing annual and biannual plans and quarterly and annual reports to the parliament;
- Suggest strategies to departments for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of plans and programs by identifying bottlenecks and developing plans to minimize or eliminate such bottlenecks;
- Contribute to ensuring that key program learnings are integrated into the projects and across the organization (NEBE);
- Organize learning workshops in to discuss findings, improvements and observations of the M&E work;
- Work together with the other members of the M&E team and program team on fostering technical excellence and impact of all NEBE programs and documenting it;
- Other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- Master’s Degree, in Project Management, Economics, Statistics, Business Administration, Public Administration, or other related programs
- Minimum 7 years of experience of which 4 years relevant professional Monitoring and Evaluation experience.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Strong report writing skills to internal and external partners;
- Proven analytical skills to collect, synthesize, analyze data for compiled analytical reporting writing, including identification of lessons learned and risks/issues;
- Leadership qualities, including the ability to motivate others, involve all members of a team, inspire a sense of ownership and responsibility among staff, and elicit consistently high-quality output;
- Experience in M&E capacity building advisory to stakeholders;
- Excellent knowledge of monitoring and the application of methodology: Good understanding of capacity assessment methodologies; excellent ability to identify significant capacity building opportunities;
- Ability to use program evaluation software, i.e STATA;
- Time management and organizational skills, with the ability to undertake multiple tasks;
- Ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality and impartiality (Not being a member of any political party);
- Must value operating in a collaborative and cooperative environment;
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness;
- Ability to manage staff and work with senior management;
- Knowledge of electoral processes is an asset;
- Fluency in English and Amharic required (written and spoken).
Interested applicants are invited to send non-returnable:
- Application letter that explains why you fit for the post and updated CV
- Three work related referees
- All material sent to Human Resources Department, by email through hr.dept [at] nebe.org.et
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further screening
- Those who are interested can only apply via email within 10 days from this announcement.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply!