The National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE), re-established by proclamation No. 1133/2011, is the constitutionally mandated body to conduct elections, organize referendum and regulate political parties in Ethiopia. NEBE is working to boost its’ institutional strength with a special focus on enhancement of human resource capacity. Accordingly, NEBE would like to invite applicants for Civic and Voters Education Manager position who meet the following requirements to apply.
Required number: One
Reports to: NEBE Board Member
Duty station: NEBE Head Quarter, Addis Ababa
Duration: 12 months with a possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: Immediately after concluding the contract
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The NEBE Civic and Voters Education Manager is responsible for maintaining and establishing NEBE’s Civic and Voters Education vision and leading all aspects of the department. As head of Civic and Voters Education department, she/he plays an integral role in NEBE’s strategic direction, development, and future growth. Leading the implementation of a Civic and Voter Education program, responsibilities will include; day to day team management tasks, the leading, developing, rolling out, managing and monitoring as well as playing advisory role on this area, and ensuring the effectiveness of department in general and subordinates in particular.
- Provide technical leadership for the development of NEBE’s civic and voter education country wide strategy;
- Lead production, dissemination and translation of voter education materials;
- Provide oversight of the development of training modules and related materials and plans to ensure standard and manage training roll out to all regions;
- Coordinate civic and voter education related procurement;
- Establish civic and voter education platform and continuously liaise with NEBE regional branch offices;
- Review the standards and requirements for civil society group engaged in civic and voters education and oversee their performance;
- Advice leadership/management on innovative voter and civic education strategies and trends that will enhance understanding of the election process;
- Establish relations with relevant stakeholders and ensure there is close coordination with and among civic/voter education partners;
- Oversee the development of monitoring tools for the continuous assessment of public knowledge of electoral related issues amongst potential voters;
- Provide regular monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the coverage and quality of civic education with close coordination with NEBE regional branch offices;
- Responsible for preparing departmental plan, monitor and evaluate implementation and prepare report for concerned bodies;
- Communicate NEBE’s vision, mission, and strategic objectives to the staff;
- Responsible to review the performance of employees on timely manner and take appropriate improvement actions as deemed necessary;
- Lead and monitor the implementation of departmental activities and take required remedial actions on timely manner;
- In order to meet NEBE’s legal mandate, assess the human resource need for the department, submit request to concerned authority for approval and ensure timely staffing;
- Conduct staff capacity need assessment, prepare appropriate intervention strategy and facilitate trainings;
- Ensure departmental activities are implemented timely at the expected quality;
- Organize platform to support that Civil Societies understand their engagement with NEBE and ensure compliance;
- Provide evidence-based recommendations to NEBE management to take legal action against those accredited Civil Societies who are not incompliance with relevant directives;
- Review the strengths and improvement areas of the department, put robust business process in place;
- Ensure information related to the department is well captured and organized;
- Perform other tasks assigned by supervisor.
- MA/MBA/BA in Civics, Pedagogical Studies, Political Science and International Relations, Law, Public Administration, Communications and Journalism and related fields
- For MA/MBA holders: at least 6 years of relevant experience of which 3 years on leadership position
- For BA holders: at least 10 years of relevant experience of which 6 years on leadership position.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Experience in development and delivery of public outreach program, or relevant experience in the field of working with civil society organizations and implementing projects;
- Work experience with implementation of an inclusive/gender-responsive public outreach program is an asset;
- Ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
- Willingness to adhere to all principles of confidentiality and impartiality (Not being a member of any political party);
- Proven communication and problem-solving skill;
- Must value operating in a collaborative and cooperative environment;
- Ability to show initiative, good judgment, and resourcefulness;
- Conduct self with integrity and function ethically;
- Ability to lead/manage staff and work with senior management;
- Effective Project management skills and experiences;
- Ability to work with procurement and financial team;
- The ability to remain highly organized while handling multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
- Fluency in English and Amharic required (written and spoken).
INTERESTED APPLICANTS ARE INVITED TO SEND NON-RETURNABLE:
- Application letter that explains why you fit for the post and updated CV
- Three work related referees
- All material sent to Human Resources Department, by email through hr.dept [at] nebe.org.et
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further screening.
- Those who are interested can only apply via email within 10 days from this announcement.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply!